23 November 2018

Silly Season

In the world of Formula One, from the last few races to the beginning of the calendar year, is Silly Season. AKA, when teams and drivers do-si-do to determine who will drive where. Much of the time the status of drivers and teams is 'secret', yet always seems to be in the press, thus Silly. Well, I have seen the future of golf and it is truly Silly.

Anyone with any interest in sport is aware that today is Tiger and Phil day. The match is PPV, and the earliest price I could find was to be about $30. Later reports put it at $25. Ultimately, $19.99. Or not. A few minutes ago I went surfing to see what the score was. While PPV, they can't stop media reporting how the match is going. Came across a page that said BleacherReport was openly streaming it. Really? Off to BleacherReport to see. Golly Gee... there it is. My machine only has DVI, so no sound (both are mic-ed up, and the 'banter' was said to be a large part of the draw...), but not a problem. I typically put something on the stereo for sports rather than listen to commentators commentate. Bill Frisell.

The main reason I wouldn't pay to watch two geezers play country club golf is that it must be lousy golf. So far, over these last few holes, so it is. Not to mention that each shot, from address to in the air, is no more than 10s of seconds. Not an action packed adventure. The result, of course, is that 99.44% of the video is two geezers walking to the next shot. Joyful.

Another puzzlement: this is a PPV event, but Capital One is a sponsor, and they've managed to insert commercials!! Of course, I've no idea whether that's a side-deal they made with BleacherReport to send the stream. If not, if I'd paid my $19.99 and I still got to watch Chuck and Sam in inane commercials (I assume, since I don't hear them), I'd be a tad pissed.

Some of the media speculated that PPV is the future of golf, and such. That assumes that the advert model is wasted, and that there're enough fat old white guys willing to drop $19.99/day to watch about the most boring, actionless sport there is. Sometimes progress isn't.

Back to watching the geezers. I'll let you look up who 'wins'. And, again, since this is a match play event twixt two geezers, it's dirt simple to arrange for it to end up even (aka, a tie) such that each pockets $4.5. Bet?

No comments: